Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Back home

Lately I have been going through some personal struggles. At times life can seem unbearably painful, and unbelievably cruel. This morning I found myself wishing that I was a stronger person and feeling like I am too much of an emotional burden to others. And then I realized:

If you take a deck of cards, and you take one card out of the deck and try to stand it up on end, it won't work. With nothing to support it, the card will fall over, no matter how straight it is standing. But if you lean the card at an angle, and you support it with a second card, also placed at an angle, the two cards will hold each other up. And the more cards you add to the structure, the stronger it becomes. 

I guess people are like that too. No one person is as strong by his or her self as they would be being supported by, and giving support back, to others.

Anyway, enough with the deep thoughts for now.

On Saturday we took the written exam, which I got back on Sunday and passed! Sunday morning we did the practical portion. We will find out weighing the next week if we did not pass, but I felt good about it.

Saturday night I stopped at Menchie's on my way back to home base. Everything else I ate that day was things I had purchased at Target to keep in my room, or snacks provided by the class. Sunday, I felt a little celebration was in order and I went to Chili's after class was over. We do not have a Chili's location in Washington state, other that the little one in the airport with a limited menu and hours. So I'm probably a little more enamoured with Chili's than is reasonable or advisable. I have not been to a full size Chili's since 2008. I got a couple of margaritas, a couple glasses of wine, a big plate of my favorite assorted apps, and a molten chocolate lava cake. It was exactly what I wanted and needed at that moment.

Monday, I wasn't feeling too hot, as I expected I might not. I am not, these days, much of a drinker at all, so even the 3.4 beverages I had was honestly way too much. And I guess at my age I'm just not able to recover like I used to. I took a Lyft car to La Mesa to visit a very dear friend I have known almost 20 years now, and we went out to breakfast. It was a welcome distraction from the moderate nausea, and was the perfect end to a good trip.

I flew back to Seattle yesterday evening, and thankfully the nausea didn't get any worse. Jeremy met me at the airport, and it felt so good to be back with him. He's the card that is standing opposite of me, and we are holding each other up.

No comments:

Post a Comment