Thursday, February 12, 2015

Grocery Outlet and QFC

I was off work Tuesday. Jeremy and I went to Grocery Outlet after he got home from work. We spent $24 and got all of this:

Quart of organic almond milk
Jar of crushed garlic
Bottle of dried onion flakes
2 black cherry Silk soy yogurt
2 lbs clementines
2 quarts cappuccino flavored soy milk
Cheez-its
Apple and strawberry granola bars
Chocolate and pretzel granola bars
Whole wheat bagels
2 lbs avocados
2 bottles Mio
2 pouches white meat chicken
1 pouch protein granola
8 Italian style frozen chicken burgers

For dinner I sauteed chicken breast, red bell pepper, spinach, and bamboo shoots in olive oil. It turns out the rice noodles I bought at Uwajimaya are actually mung bean noodles. I cooked some of those up, and added peanut sauce to the meat, veggies, and noodles. In my peanut sauce I used creamy peanut butter, coconut milk, garlic, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, and rice wine vinegar. This is the first time I have used honey in it, and I thought it turned out great.

After dinner I used up four spotty bananas and made two batches of banana oatmeal muffins. One batch was gluten free and I used honey and coconut oil instead of sugar and veg oil. I also added walnuts to this batch. The other was just made as per the recipe, and no nuts.

Breakfast: fried egg with sliced avocado and toasted brown rice bread
Lunch: blueberry muffin Lara Bar, peanuts and chicken chunks from a P3 pack (Winter ate the cheese)
Dinner: chicken, veggies, mung bean noodles and peanut sauce
Snacks/desserts: banana nut muffins
Beverages: cocoa mint coconut milk, water

Wednesday I went in to work until 2:30. Winter caught the cold that Jeremy had over the weekend and stayed home from school. We are fully booked for the weekend at the massage studio I work at, and no one is available to cover for me Saturday, so I have been taking all of the zinc and vitamin C. So far, so good. Wish I had time to go in for extra acupuncture sessions.

On the way home I went to QFC and spent $9 and bought: six pack of kiwi, 2 lbs carrots, 8 oz almond based cheese, a reduced for quick sale chocolate gluten free pie crust, and a 2 lt bottle of lemon lime soda for Winter.

I made pizza for dinner. I had bought one 7" and one 12" pizza pans at Grocery Outlet last week. I made a small gluten free crust where I just subbed gluten free flour blend for regular flour, and kept the rest of the recipe the same. I made a larger crust with wheat flour for Winter and Jeremy. I topped mine with tomato sauce, almond based cheese, spinach, roasted red peppers and a little parmesan and Romano cheese blend. The larger pizza was topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella, roasted red peppers, turkey pepperoni, and park/Romano blend.

The gluten free crust actually turned out good, and other than the fact that is didn't rise as much, it tasted just like regular pizza crust and had the same nice chewy texture. I'm sure Jeremy and Winter would have liked it fine, but since GF flour costs 4X as much, I'd rather keep using regular flour for their food as much as I can. Since I do not have an allergy, or apparently a severe sensitivity, I do not worry about things like soy sauce or cross contamination.

I have to say though that my leg pain has improved a whole lot, and I wonder how much the overall improvement of my diet has influenced the fact that I haven't gotten sick yet.

Breakfast: black cherry soy yogurt, banana nut muffin
Lunch: leftover quinoa with chicken sausage, broccoli, and red bell pepper
Dinner: roasted red pepper and spinach pizza
Snacks/desserts: strawberry apple granola bar, Clementine
Beverages: water

No comments:

Post a Comment