Saturday, January 17, 2015

Money for nothin' and beans for free

Except the "money for nothin" part is completely false. Yesterday someone on my local Buy Nothing group offered up two big bags of food they didn't want, and I got picked for it!! Yay! Some of the food I got were things I planned on buying in the very near future too. Here's what I got:

4 lbs of whole wheat spaghetti
4 lbs dried pinto
3 lbs brown lentils
1 canned ham
3 cups or so of quick cook oats
1 lb egg noodles
1 lb corn rotini
2 5oz cans of tuna
2 cans of pork and beans
1 can cranberry sauce
1 can mixed veggies
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans corn
1 can sweetened applesauce
1 can condensed clam chowder
1 can roast beef hash
1 can garbanzo beans
7 7oz cans and 2 14oz cans of wild Alaskan salmon

I gave 4 of the 3oz cans and 1 of the 14oz cans of salmon to a coworker since I am the only one in my house that likes it. This still must be over $50 worth of food. Score!

Friday night I used a gift certificate from my boss to get a sandwich, brownie, and hot spiced cider from a coffee shop near my job while I waited for Winter to finish at art class. I used $14.25 and have $5.75 left. I also gave the barista a $1 tip for the drink. No money spent yesterday (aside from the tip) but lots of food acquired.

Breakfast: honey peach flavored Greek yogurt
Lunch: leftover pasta with spaghetti sauce, clementine, apple
Dinner: herbed chicken sandwich with roasted red peppers and spinach on sourdough
Snacks/desserts: frosted brownie
Beverages: water, hot spiced cider

No comments:

Post a Comment