Monday, July 28, 2014

What we ate and what we bought 07-27-14

We did a little grocery shopping yesterday. Here's what we picked up:

Broccoli $.73
Zucchini $.55
Red leaf lettuce $1.49
Bay leaves $.48
Thyme $.30
Kroger peach flavored sparkling water $.79

Total $4.42

We shared the sparkling water on the way home, because it's a half hour walk, and it was hot out. We also went to see Sex Tape in the afternoon, where I bought a handful of Skittles from a vending machine for $.50. We enjoyed the movie. Very funny. Besides us there was only one other person in the theater.

this bread is so good

Yesterday I made homemade bread. Since I had lots of flour, lots of yeast, and the day off, I decided it was time to finally try it. I had always worried that you would have to do everything perfectly or it wouldn't work, but my experience with pizza crust has taught me that leavened baked goods are fairly forgiving. I used 3 cups of flour, 2 T honey, 1 packet of yeast, 1 t salt, 3 T olive oil, and 1 1/4 cups water. I let it rise while we were at the movie, and then kneaded it for a few minutes when we got back. I then put it in the loaf pan, turned the oven on to the low setting, and let it rise for another half hour. Then I turned the heat up to 350 and set the timer for 35 minutes. It turned out absolutely perfect. It was moist, dense, and very soft. The crust wasn't tough or crunchy, which I liked. We ate almost 2/3 of the loaf. We will have the rest of it with soup tonight.

I will give fair warning that the dough ball was very sticky with that much water in it. You want to oil your hands, and flour the counter before kneading it. I might cut down on the water ever so slightly next time. But it turned out so good that I am hesitant to mess with it.

For breakfast I combined 1 cup of leftover Spanish rice with the Hormel Compleats egg and sausage thing I got for free, and warmed it up in a saucepan with the last little bit of pepper jack cheese. I split it with Jeremy. The egg thing looked pretty horrible, and adding rice and cheese to it did not help any with the appearance, but the flavor was decent, and the texture was fine if not a little mushy.

Breakfast: Hormel Compleats eggs and sausage with leftover Spanish rice and cheese
Lunch: cherries, peanut butter and honey sandwich
Dinner: salad made with red leaf lettuce, radishes, grilled chicken marinated with garlic and balsamic vinegar, parmesan cheese and dressing, and homemade white bread
Snacks/desserts: peanut butter chocolate oatmeal cookie, Skittles
Beverages: peach sparkling water, Crystal Light

No comments:

Post a Comment