Friday, November 28, 2014

Cooking all day Wednesday

Wednesday my parents got here around 1:30. I went to the store in the morning to get some last minute things. I got a half gallon of whole milk for $1.99, a pint tub of sour cream for $1.50, vanilla ice cream for $2.79, and a can of diced jalapenos for $.79.

We were planning on chicken tacos for dinner Wednesday night, so first thing I got some black beans cooking in the crock pot with the can of jalapenos. Then I made dough for rolls. I used the last of the 2% milk, honey, yeast, white flour, olive oil, and salt. I let it rise a few times, increased it a few times, and Jeremy brushed them with melted honey butter before we baked them.

After mom and dad arrived mom helped make a Dutch apple pie totally from scratch. Dutch apple pie has a struesel like topping made from butter, flour, and sugar.

For dinner we used the free jar of tomatillo cooking sauce we got on Friday with some chicken breast cut into chunks for the taco filling. We also made corn tortillas out of corn flour, vegetable oil, and water, and then fried them in oil. Making corn tortillas is not as easy as I had guessed it would be. They did not hold up very well to folding, and were not very round, but holy crap they tasted amazing.

We also had the tacos with plain brown rice, chili garlic cheddar, the last bits of lettuce (living lettuce lasts forever in the fridge, especially the middle leaves), and sour cream. The beans turned out super spicy, but adding a spoonful to the taco instead of eating them alone made the heat much more palatable. I have to say it was one of the tastiest meals I have had in a while. Even better our Thanksgiving dinner. I may make corn tortillas again just to have that experience once more.

We went to see Interstellar after dinner since I had a movie gift card I got a few months ago from work. I bought another one off of Raise.com for about 10% off too. We spent about $35 for five tickets, instead of $62.50. Dad brought three packages of Red Vines because he cannot go to a movie without Red Vines. He also bought us a huge Sprite to share. Winter shared some Jolly Rancher lollipops she bought. She really liked them and went back to QFC to purchase another bag with her allowance.

The bad thing is I was so busy cooking on Wednesday that I forgot to eat breakfast or lunch. I planned to have leftover lentils, but I just spaced it. I ate some peppermint and chocolate sandwich cookies my parents brought with them, dinner, and snacks at the movie.

Breakfast: skipped
Lunch: skipped
Dinner: chicken tacos
Snacks/desserts: Red Vines, lollipops, sandwich cookies
Beverages: Sprite, water, Crystal Light

No comments:

Post a Comment