Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Never doubt that there is so much kindness in the world

I want to share a story. A few weeks ago I joined a local freecycle type group on Facebook. That's where we got a big bottle of sugar free chocolate syrup the Sunday before last, and I've also found new homes for some pots and pans and a half bottle of banana liqueur I am not fond of. But today something extraordinary happened.

For the last week I have been posting all over the place asking pretty much anyone who might have even the slightest connection with us if anyone would be interested in being tested as a potential kidney donor for Jeremy. I'd gotten a few volunteers so far, more than I really expected, and that in and of itself made me optimistic.

They told us, at the transplant center, to ask everyone, because you never know who will step forward if asked, and that has already been proving to be true. Nothing could have prepared me for what happened today. I sent a PM to the mod of the freecycle type group to ask if it would be within the rules of the group to post a request for possible kidney donors. She told me to go for it. So I did.

Within minutes of making that post I had a PM from someone who wanted a copy of the donor packet. It is now 10pm, and at last count I have had 13 people ask me for it. I do not know these people. They are all strangers to us. The only connection I have with any of them is that we belong to the same community group on Facebook. But each of them cares enough about the life of a total stranger that they are seriously willing to give up a vital organ of their own for him.

When I made that post I expected maybe one person to respond, if I was lucky. I was and still am completely overwhelmed by the response I got. On top of that a good family friend from my childhood started a GoFundMe to help us with expenses today, and she is also willing to get tested as a potential donor even though she's never met my husband. And in addition to people contacting me about being a potential donor, I've also been getting a lot of messages of general support, prayers, and positive thoughts, which are so very meaningful to me.

I wish I had something profound to say to end this, but I don't. I'm a fairly optimistic person anyway, but this experience has shocked me to my core.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this experience Christel! You write beautifully. This is a true example of hope and caring. Peace and wellness to you, Jeremy and your loved ones!
    Tonya, Boulder CO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tonya! I miss you and it's great to hear from you always!!

    ReplyDelete