Saturday, June 14, 2014

Window box gardening

The apartment we moved into a few months ago has three window boxes. Four, actually, but one of them isn't accessible because of where the furniture is. I decided to see if I can grow anything in them. I didn't want to spend much because I sort of have a black thumb. I am not entirely convinced this is actually going to save me any money. I have already spent about $15 on dirt, fertilizer, and one pack of seeds.

My mom mailed me some seeds, including radish and beet seeds, so I planted some of those. I also planted a few fingerling potatoes that had sprouted, and replanted the roots of a living lettuce I had eaten most of. Lastly I bought a packet of rainbow carrot seeds and planted some of those.

So far the potatoes are the hugest thing in the boxes. They are about a foot and a half tall now. The radishes are also growing pretty quickly. The carrots and beets still just have two leaves, although they are getting bigger. Very slowly. And the outer leaves of the lettuce are decomposing, BUT the tiny little inner leaves are finally starting to grow up and out. They are still very small.

The potatoes are starting to get top heavy and flop over. There's not much room in the box to hill them, and I need to find some free dirt somewhere to do it with I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment