Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Health care and shit

I finally got around to making an appointment at the dentist this Saturday. I have a broken tooth I have been neglecting for a while, which just keeps getting brokener. It doesn't hurt (much) so it's been easy to ignore. I have a couple others that I know will also eventually need attention, but they'll have to wait just a bit. 

Jeremy has an appointment Thursday to get his veins mapped for fistula surgery. They need to make a fistula for hemodialysis even if you plan/hope for a transplant, because it takes a few weeks for them to heal and be usable, and once you actually need dialysis you do not have a few weeks to wait. If you do not have a fistula they have to run a line directly into your heart to do it, which has an incredibly high risk of infection. There is also a small chance that one of the pre-op tests he needs before the transplant could cause his kidneys to completely fail. Which would mean he'd need to go on dialysis immediately. I told him I can just draw the map myself because you can practically see his veins from space, but he kindly rejected my offer. And he's pretty sure it's not that kind of map. 

He's also getting minor surgery on one of his eyes at the end of the month to remove some cloudiness behind the lens. And another surgery, which has yet to be scheduled, to remove a cataract in the other eye. He said that there should be no downtime after the first surgery, and he should be able to see as well as he normally can immediately afterward. But if for some reason he can't he'll have to miss work because the eye with the cataract has basically no usable vision right now. 

There will be copays. So many copays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment