Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Increasingly disillusioned with gardening

Between forgetting to water my window boxes for a few days, and it being in the 90's my tiny baby lettuce died. I am starting to think it was never going to get much bigger than it was anyway. I'm glad I literally grew it from something I'd have thrown out otherwise.

I am also 95% sure my radishes are not going to bulb. They have been growing for like a month and a half and all I see is skinny pink stems.

I am running into issues with my potato plants being way too tall/heavy and there is no more room to hill them in those little planter boxes. Plus now when I water them it mostly just runs down the side of the "hill" and onto the sidewalk below, so I have to make sure no one is walking underneath when I water.

The carrots and beets still look ok, though they are  growing at a maddeningly slow pace, and at this point there are only like six carrots and two beets growing. If they do actually turn into anything edible I am betting they will be tiny.

I'll give it the rest of the growing season before I give up, but I am thinking next year I'll just plant some herbs instead. Growing vegetables is proving to be more complicated than just getting things to sprout and not die.


No comments:

Post a Comment